Everyone has a crazy life and everyone has stress at times. I’m currently working on managing that stress and still being a happy person. Right now I am preparing for the end-of-the-year tests with my students and it’s been a little stressful…Or a lot as the nightmare I had the other day showed me!
So here are a few ways I handle my crazy life, and maybe one or two of these can help others. The funny thing about all these tips is that most of them are things that I never thought I would do and now I can’t see myself without them. So don’t close your mindset before you try them or after just one time. You never know what will happen, and in this world you can be anyone you want.
- Yoga. I never thought yoga would be my thing. I’ve always been fast-paced with running and kickboxing or just needing to move. I decided to try yoga for a week and actually found myself turning to it when I’m stressed. I like to do it before school or before bedtime, and even just a quick 20-minute yoga flow really helps me.
- Running. If you asked me three years ago if I would ever be a runner, I would have laughed in your face. Then I decided to try a beginner’s 5K program and I’ve been hooked ever since. For anyone that doubts themselves, get on the Nike program and try it for a few weeks. You never know what will happen.
- Gardening. A student gave me a miniature rose plant for Valentine’s Day. Somehow since then my collection has expanded to a Gerber Daisy plant, exotic Angel plant, and impatiens. My students love seeing them every morning and they calm us all down at times.
- Cooking. I love to find a great recipe for weekends and there are tons of easy recipes online. There is something awesome about learning a new recipe and cooking it for my family and friends.
- Reading a great book. Find a local library and go browse. Or see about an online app if you are busy. Some nights it is nice to escape into a different world.
- Putting my phone in do-not-disturb. I am usually so heavily plugged into my phone that lately slipping it into do-not disturb is SO NICE. I was having issues at first, but now, I’m beyond comfortable just focusing on the moment. You won’t miss anything.
- Being outdoors. If you haven’t noticed, I love to be outside whether it is kayaking/gardening/running. Just being outdoors, seeing the world, or exploring a new place is seriously one of the best feelings in the world.
So there’s my list of things I do to de-stress as I attempt this crazy life! There are more because I swear I’m always taking up a new hobby, but these are some of the most important.